Sea or ocean transportation remains to be one of the economical ways of shipping goods, especially dangerous goods. However, there are strict rules that apply to ensure the safety of life at sea is not compromised. Thus, all international shipments ought to comply with IMDG (International Maritime Dangerous Goods) code and other national transportation regulations. If you are involved in the transportation of dangerous goods by sea, then you need to attend this course.
The IMDG course is developed for current IMDG code plus the latest amendments. Upon the completion of the course, students are given a certification that expires after 3 years. As identified by different intergovernmental agencies, the following are some of the topics to be covered in the course.
- Overview of both national and international regulations on shipping of
dangerous goods by sea
- Classification of dangerous goods and identification of shipping names for the same goods
- The packaging of dangerous goods
- Preparation of documents for the transportation of dangerous goods
- Marking and labeling of dangerous goods
- Preparing dangerous goods for transportation
- Enforcing a survey or inspecting for compliance with the applicable regulations and rules that are involved in the transport of hazardous goods.
- Responsibilities of the shipper
At the end of the course, participants ought to be able to prepare, accept, and prepare shipments of various goods for transportation by the sea. Usually, the courses are based on the IMDG code for non-bulk packages contained in freight containers. Also, participants ought to understand the IMDG code and how to refer to it so that they can comply with IMDG regulations when it comes to dealing with packing, classification, carriage, handling, and storage of different types of goods.
The imdg code training course aims to create awareness and familiarization with the latest IMGD regulations. It does so by imparting knowledge about hazards involved in transporting dangerous goods to people to ensure there is safe carriage of the goods at sea. It is meant for all people engaged in the transport of dangerous good by sea. The code remains to be instrumental as far as transportation of dangerous goods is concerned.
Usually, the course provides both theoretical and practical work with the regulations for handling and transporting dangerous goods. Moreover, it examines the implementation of the regulations. Taking into account the location of the course, participants can also get extra information that can enable them to work with local regulations.